• We traditionally sing “Auld Lang Syne” to herald in the New Year, but did you know that although written as a poem by Scottish poet Robert Burns in the late 1700’s the song was made popular by Canadian band leader, Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, Dec 31, 1929.
• The first New Year’s Eve ball drop at New York’s Time Square happened on Dec. 31, 1907 to welcome in 1908. The ball, illuminated with a hundred light bulbs was created by an electrician after the city of New York banned fireworks.
• The southern California Tournament of Roses Parade and football games were initially held to celebrate California’s orange crops in the late 1800’s.
• English Bay’s polar bear swim has been held in Vancouver since 1920, making it the oldest and largest polar bear swim in Canada. On January 1, 2013 more than 2200 souls braved the icy waters of English Bay to participate in the annual event.
• The Royal Hotel in downtown Chilliwack has been part of New Year’s celebrations a record 105 times. This year we are excited to offer a New Year’s Eve package that includes a gourmet buffet dinner, live entertainment by the party band Euphoria, http://thatweddingband.com/ , a midnight dessert buffet, champagne toast at midnight and accommodations for the night.
• This all inclusive package (for two) is offered at $220.00 with a limited number of guest rooms available. Call the hotel to book this special package using the promo code “NYEV”. Dinner and show tickets are also available for $55.00 per person without accommodations. Book now to ring in the New Year at the historic Royal Hotel in downtown Chilliwack.
photo courtesy Chilliwack Museum and Archives